Manna’s Culinary Arts Program
In order for a person to gain greater self-sufficiency several elements are necessary. The main components include having basic needs met such as food and shelter plus acquiring new jobs skills and completing or expanding education. It’s widely known that Manna offers healthy meals and resources to its clients, but maybe not so recognized is that Manna provides a skills training program as well.
Manna’s Culinary Arts Program was established in 2015 as a way to help people gain necessary skills to secure a job in the food industry. Culinary Manager, McKenzie Miller, offers a 16-week course with teachings by weekly guest chefs from local restaurants. The program is open to the community and Manna clients. Upon completion of the program, students receive a Certificate of Completion, and their two-year state recognized Food Handlers Certificate. By combining cooking skills learned in the kitchen and life skills taught in the class, graduates are taking those next steps in life toward successful independence.
Skills and subjects covered in the Culinary Arts track include sanitation and safety, hot and cold food production, baking, nutrition and basic job requirements such as resume writing and interview skills. Students must complete an internship, which often this leads directly to employment in the field.
For more information, or if you would like to get a tour of the kitchen, call Manna’s culinary manager, McKenzie Miller, at (970) 385-5095 ext. 4.
- There are 2 classes each year: fall and spring
- The program runs for 16 weeks
- Cost is $1,000 with payment options available
- Class size is only 8 students per semester
- Some of the food used for teaching/learning comes from the Manna Garden
- The program has an 75% job placement rate
- The Durango Restaurant Association is actively involved in the program
- Upon completion, students receive a Culinary Certificate and Food Handlers Certificate
- Manna is contributing to the overall health and economic vitality of the region
- The program offers catering services to entities that also are working hard to better the community